USA J-1 Student Visa Requirements and Application Guide

Are you considering obtaining a J-1 visa for a unique cultural and educational exchange experience in the United States? The USA offers a diverse range of J-1 exchange programs, including opportunities for au pairs, scholars, interns, and trainees. This visa category allows participants to engage in cultural exchange, gain valuable work experience, and develop skills in various fields. In this article, we will be showing you all you need to know about the J-1 student visa including the requirements and how to apply for it.

But before we proceed, it is important to highlight some benefits of studying in the USA.

Why Study in the USA

  1. Great Universities

The United States is home to some of the best universities globally, with many consistently ranking high in world university rankings. These institutions uphold academic standards, ensuring quality education. According to the QS World Ranking 2019, 33 of the top 100 universities are from the US.

  1. Flexible Education

American universities offer a wide range of courses and programs. At the undergraduate level, you can explore various courses before declaring your major at the end of the second year. This allows you to discover your interests at your own pace. In graduate studies, you have the freedom to select your preference and focus on your chosen ideas during your dissertation.

  1. Support for International Students

US universities understand the challenges international students face. They conduct orientation programs, workshops, and training to provide assistance. The international student office is available around the clock to help with academic, cultural, or social queries, helping you adjust to a new lifestyle.

  1. Cultural Diversity

The US embraces a mix of cultures, races, and ethnicities, fostering acceptance and eliminating discrimination. Learning alongside students from different parts of the world enriches your education experience. Exposure to diversity builds valuable personality traits and skills, sought after by employers in the international market.

  1. Dynamic Campus Life

US campus life is known for its vibrancy and liveliness. Regardless of the university, you’ll immerse yourself in new cultural experiences and the American way of life. Embrace this environment to open yourself up to new ideas and people, creating a memorable and enriching college experience.


About the J-1 Student Visa

The J-1 visa, also known as the Exchange Visitor Visa or J student visa, is designed for individuals outside the US participating in approved study and work exchange programs like UC Education Abroad Program (EAP), Fulbright, LASPAU, DAAD, AmidEast, or others. These programs, sponsored by accredited educational or nonprofit institutions through the U.S. State Department’s Exchange Visitor Program, facilitate teaching, studying, training, or demonstrating special skills.  Also, J-1 visa holders can engage in various roles categorized into 15 types, including Au Pair, Camp Counselor, College and University Student, and more. Choosing the College and University Student Program category allows you to study at a US college or university for the duration of your course. The length of your stay depends on the chosen program, ranging from short stays for programs like Camp Counselor to several years for Au Pair and Research Scholar programs. After graduation, J-1 visa holders must return to their home country and reside there for at least two years. Only after fulfilling this requirement can they return to the US, unless special circumstances or emergencies warrant a waiver of this rule.

Exchange Programs you can Apply for a J-1 Student Visa

When considering exchange programs in the U.S., you can explore various options:

  1. University-Specific Programs

If you’re currently enrolled in a university in your home country, inquire about exchange programs with U.S. schools. Your home university might have agreements with specific U.S. colleges, guiding you through the enrollment process as an exchange student.

  1. Government-Sponsored Programs

Governments often establish exchange programs through agreements with U.S. universities or local government agencies. Check if your government offers such opportunities and if you meet the eligibility criteria.

  1. Scholarship-Funded Programs

Study in the U.S. as an exchange student with funding from American governmental agencies, your home country’s government, or international organizations. You can also qualify if someone other than you or your family covers most of your study costs in the U.S.

Noteworthy, if participating in an exchange program, the program itself may assist you in applying to a U.S. college or university. To find institutions sponsoring foreign exchange students, refer to the State Department’s list of Designated Sponsor Organizations. Ensure you meet the school’s acceptance standards.


J-1 Student Visa Eligibility

To qualify for a J-1 exchange visitor visa, you must:

  1. Intend to come to the U.S. for purposes such as studying, conducting research, teaching, or participating in cultural enrichment, falling under categories like student, scholar, trainee, intern, au pair, teacher, professor, research assistant, medical graduate, or international visitor.
  2. Apply for and be accepted into a program approved by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). Common programs include the Fulbright Scholarship, specialized training for foreign medical graduates, and programs for foreign university professors.
  3. Demonstrate sufficient financial resources to cover your expenses in the U.S., sourced from your government, the U.S. government, an international organization, or another external source (initially). If your J-1 visa is work-based, your salary may be considered as support.
  4. Possess proficiency in English to effectively participate in the exchange program. Non-native English speakers may need to pass an English language proficiency test such as IELTS, TOEFL etc.
  5. Plan to return to your home country upon completing the exchange program, as is typically required for various nonimmigrant visas to the U.S.

J-1 Student Visa Requirements

Each program has specific requirements, ensuring participants meet requirements for a meaningful exchange experience. Some of the programs and their requirements include:

  • The Au Pair program

This lets individuals aged 18 to 26 work as childcare providers for a family. They receive room, board, and a stipend. To be eligible, applicants must be of that age bracket, need a job offer, be in good health, have previous childcare experience, understand English, completed secondary school, and more. Au pairs may undergo interviews and training, including a minimum of 32 hours of childcare training. While working in the US, they provide a maximum of 10 hours of childcare daily and 45 hours per week. Additionally, they must complete at least six hours of academic credit at a US educational institution. Responsibilities include assisting with homework, keeping children’s rooms tidy, and preparing light meals. Host families contribute up to $500 for the au pair’s academic coursework, provide room and board, and compensate them according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.

  • Camp Counselor program,

Through the Camp Counselor program, foreign post-secondary students and youth workers can work at American summer camps if they meet criteria like being proficient in English, skilled with children, at least 18 years old, and having specialized skills. Participants, housed and fed by the camps, receive pay and benefits similar to their American counterparts. They can’t take on non-counseling staff roles and can work for up to four months without extensions.

  • The College and University Student Program

This allows foreign students to study at American colleges and universities. Participants pursue full-time studies, maintain good academic standing, and might engage in a student internship program aligned with their degree programs. Funding must come from sources other than personal or family, such as the US government, home country government, or an international organization. The program follows agreements between the US government and the student’s home government or institutions.

  • The Secondary School Student Program

This allows high school students (aged 15 to 18.5) to study in the US at a public or private high school, staying with a host family or in a boarding school. Participants can engage in school activities, subject to school and state approval, but can’t work full or part-time jobs. They can’t live with relatives and should not stay in the US for more than one academic school year.

  • The Physician Program

This allows foreign physicians to join US graduate medical education programs or train at US medical schools. For clinical exchange, they need relevant education, and English proficiency, and must pass exams like the National Board of Medical Examiners Examination. A statement of need from their home government, along with an agreement from the US medical institution, is required. Non-clinical exchange programs enable physicians to come for observation, consultation, teaching, or research. Sponsored by designated US institutions, they must certify that the program is non-clinical, supervised patient contact, and adheres to state licensing requirements. The experience gained isn’t creditable towards clinical medical board certification.

  • The Professor and Research Scholar Program

This offers participants the chance to engage in research, teaching, and lecturing at American institutions, fostering the exchange of ideas between the US and other countries. The maximum duration is five years, with conditions such as not being eligible for a tenure track position and not completing a similar program in the last 24 months. Exceptions include transferring to another US institution, a prior stay of less than six months, or previous participation as a short-term scholar. Participants must have the necessary education, credentials, and English skills.

  • The Specialist Program

This enables experts with specialized knowledge or skills to exchange expertise between the US and their home country for up to one year. While in the US, specialists cannot fill permanent or long-term positions. Covered categories include international education exchange, labour law, environmental science, mass media communication, museum exhibitions, public administration, and library science.

  • The Summer Work Travel Program

This allows post-secondary students to work and travel in the US during their summer vacation. To qualify, participants need sufficient English skills, enrollment in a full-time course outside the US, completion of at least one semester of post-secondary study, and a job offer in the US (unless from a visa waiver country). The program’s duration is up to 4 months, and participants often work in resorts, hotels, restaurants, amusement parks, or other organizations. Those without prearranged employment must have enough financial resources during their job search.

J-1 Student Visa Application Guide

Step 1: Locate a Designated J Sponsor

To begin a J1 visa application, find a designated sponsor in the United States. Many sponsoring organizations, regardless of their location, can place participants across the country. The official list of designated sponsor organizations is provided by the United States Department of State.

Step 2: Apply for DS-2019 Form

After approval by a designated sponsor organization, proceed to submit the DS-2019 Form, also known as the “Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status.” This document, issued by the sponsoring organization, is crucial for scheduling an interview with the U.S. embassy or consulate. If accompanied by a spouse or child(ren), they will receive a separate DS-2019 form containing program details, start and end dates, and program costs.

Step 3: Pay the Required Fees

Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as part of the J-1 visa application. Confirm with your sponsor whether this fee is covered by your program fees. If the sponsor handles the SEVIS fee, obtain a receipt as confirmation. Additionally, participants need to pay a $160 Nonimmigrant Visa Application Processing Fee. Certain participants in U.S. Government-funded programs are exempt from this fee. Check with your sponsor to clarify payment responsibilities.

Step 4: Attend the U.S. Embassy or Consulate Interview

For your J-1 visa application to be accepted, you must secure final approval from a consular officer at a U.S. embassy or consulate. Schedule an appointment well in advance, considering potential variations in waiting times based on your location. If travelling with a spouse and/or child, arrange appointments for accompanying family members.

During the interview, expect questions about the program, post-program intentions, financial coverage plans, etc. Emphasize your commitment to completing the program and returning to your home country afterwards. Show binding ties to your home country, providing any relevant documents.

Submit the following documents to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate when applying for a J1 visa:

  1. DS-2019 Form, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status
  2. DS-7002 Form, A Training/Internship Placement Plan (for exchange visitor trainees or intern visa applicants)
  3. Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application
  4. A passport valid for U.S. travel with validity extending six months beyond the intended stay
  5. One 2×2 photograph

Before applying for a J-1 visa, check with your specific embassy or consulate to confirm the required documents. The application process may vary based on your embassy/consulate and individual circumstances. Ensure you’ve thoroughly researched the prerequisites and procedures for your interview, both before and during the application process.

Working with a J-1 Student Visa

J-1 students have the opportunity to work while pursuing their studies, granted they secure a work permit. However, there are limitations, such as being restricted to part-time on-campus employment, with a maximum of 20 hours per week. During academic breaks, students have the flexibility to work full-time.


Whether you aspire to explore cultural exchange through programs like Au Pair or Camp Counselor, pursue academic excellence in College and University programs, or engage in specialized fields through initiatives like the Specialist Program, the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program offers diverse opportunities. From going through the visa application steps to understanding program requirements, we hope this article has been a helpful guide on your journey to international education.